International Senior Citizens Day is celebrated every year on 21st August. It was first announced in 1990 by the United Nations General Assembly on 14 December. For the first time the holiday was celebrated on 1 October 1991. The day has been started to raise awareness about the factors affecting older people and their issues which include deterioration in health with increasing age and abuse of elderly people. This day is also celebrated for the contribution made by the elderly people towards the society.
World Senior Citizens Day 2021 Date
International Senior Citizens Day (World Senior Citizens Day 2021) will be celebrated across the world on 21st August, Saturday.
History of International Senior Citizens Day
The history of International Senior Citizens Day dates back to 1988. It was officially started by the former President of the United States of America, Ronald Reagan. He signed the Declaration of 5847 on 19 August 1988, then 21 August was introduced as National Senior Citizen Day. Ronald Reagan was the first to promote National Senior Citizens Day. Below that declaration is explained:
“We would like to thank and heartily greet our elders for whatever they have achieved in their lives and continue to achieve for all. We can derive satisfaction by ensuring that there is good in our society. There are places that are elderly-friendly – places where older people can enjoy their lives to the fullest and where they can find encouragement, acceptance, support, and services. Continue to live independent and dignified lives.”
Why is International Senior Citizens Day celebrated?
The main objective of celebrating International Senior Citizen Day is to spread awareness about the condition of older people and to support them through the process of etiquette. This day is also celebrated for the welfare of old people to appreciate their achievements and aptitudes to be promoted by their ability and knowledge.
One of the reasons for celebrating this day is to thank and honor the elders for what they have done for their children. They spend their whole lives taking care of relationships. They should also give some importance to do this kind of selfless service for their whole life for their family. This is the reason why International Senior Citizens Day is celebrated. Dedicating a special day in a year for elders provides an opportunity to your family to understand the love and affection towards their elders. International Senior Citizens Day is an important day to remind the government about working to achieve its set goal to help end hunger and poverty for the elderly and all older people.
How is International Senior Citizens Day celebrated?
Since 1998, International Senior Citizens Day is celebrated across the country. This day is celebrated all over the world to celebrate the life and achievements of elderly people. People enjoy it while celebrating International Senior Citizens Day by organizing various events. Many other events are also organized by the people to mark this day.
International Senior Citizens Day is a special day when people all over the world celebrate by honoring the spirit of elderly people. This is the day when elders get together and showcase their strength which shows how effectively they are struggling to bring positive energy into the world. The day is marked by grand celebrations.
This day is a day for grandchildren to show respect to their grandparents and for parents to feel how grateful they are to God for having such elders. People try to thank their respected parents who have made their life in such a beautiful way. On International Senior Citizen Day people try to adopt every method in which they make their parents feel special and can express their heart feelings towards them.
Some examples of events that have occurred around the world in recent years are as follows:
How is International Senior Citizens Day celebrated in these Countries?
International Senior Citizens Day is celebrated to honor elderly people. This festival is celebrated in different states in India as many activities carried out by a group of people in India. Central and state governments are establishing measures for the welfare of such people and also advocating for the rights of senior citizens. The planning authorities have taken necessary steps to ensure that the needs of the aged are met.
The day focuses on facilities, lack of government support and ways to upgrade and improve them. Apart from this, some organizations and schools organize special programs with different themes to spread the knowledge about this day. Children’s grandparents are invited to schools where special protest programs are organized to pay respect to the senior citizens of our country. Special meals are also organized for their happiness.
United States of America
In the United States of America, the celebration of International Senior Citizens Day is celebrated with great zeal and enthusiasm. This day is also celebrated as the reunion of families as people who live away from family find time to celebrate this day with their families. Observing this day, people reflect on the invaluable role played by the elderly in building character and in the development of the nation. On International Senior Citizens Day, the people of America express gratitude, love and affection and honor their elders.
International Senior Citizens Day is celebrated in Australia in the same way as it is celebrated in other countries of the world. Taking advantage of this opportunity, people express their love and affection for the elderly and thank them for their support and care. However this occasion is celebrated in many clubs for which families and people of the society take the initiative to organize special events to encourage and entertain the society. A variety of sports and activities are organized on this day to strengthen the bond of love with the elderly people. Breakfast is a common feature for families at Senior Citizens Day celebrations in Australia.
Taking full advantage of this day, people respect their elders and express their gratitude and affection for them. Like many other countries, people give gifts to their elders and ask them to rest without worry on this day. People take their elders for dinner or lunch or provide them with fun snacks. People whose elders are no longer in this world pay tribute to them by donating or providing free services to others.
Many cultural organizations and clubs in Ireland have organized International Senior Citizens Day events to understand the importance of the major role of elders in the development of the family. Apart from this, children are also encouraged to pay attention to and respect elders.
Like many countries of the world, the people of South Africa also do not miss this golden opportunity to pay respect to their elders by celebrating International Senior Citizens Day. This day is celebrated across the country by organizing beautiful ceremonies. People express love and respect for their elders and thank them for their valuable guidance and support. As a tradition, children please their elders by presenting flowers, neckties, gifts, cards or any other items like gifts etc.
As International Senior Citizens Day is celebrated according to the theme of the prevailing year, people meet friends and family to enjoy the occasion. Many people in South Africa go out for fishing, picnics or dinner in restaurants. In addition to private celebrations, a number of social and cultural events are organized in South Africa to celebrate the International Senior Citizens Day to emphasize the important role played by older people in building and promoting a strong society.
The beautiful island New Zealand celebrates International Senior Citizens Day in a way that has a lot of charm and excitement. Like people in other countries, New Zealanders also celebrate the occasion by paying tribute to senior citizens and honoring them in general. People mark this day by giving flowers, handmade cards and chocolates to their elders. They spend quality time with the elderly, engaging in joyful activities and expressing their love and affection towards them.
International Senior Citizens Day is celebrated in the United Kingdom in much the same way as it is celebrated in the United States. In the UK too, International Senior Citizens Day is celebrated by people to honor their elders and express their love and affection for them by presenting popular gifts such as flowers, cards, neckties and chocolates.
Many cultural societies, clubs and schools in the United Kingdom organize parties for seniors and provide an opportunity for people to celebrate the day. Various sports are also organized in such celebrations.
Some more tips on celebrating International Senior Citizens Day in India
According to the 2011 Population Census in India, there were 104 crore elderly citizens aged 60 years and above, of which 51 million were males and 53 million were females. According to a report, this number is expected to increase year after year. Keeping in view the large population of elderly in the country, it is our utmost duty to serve them with care and affection. International Senior Citizens Day is the best platform to pay respect to our elders and also to tell how important they are for us as well as for the whole society. Here are some tips to celebrate this day in India.
World Senior Citizen’s Day Wishes:
- Happy Senior Citizens Day to all those grandparents who take their grandson out for an ice cream every day! Cheers to them.
- Every old and wise people you meet today were once young and crazy and hence they know the realms of life a lot better. Make the senior citizen’s day grand for your beloved elder.
- The aim of this Senior Citizens Day is to make sure that none of us makes them feel as if they are a burden on us. Treat them right and love them.
- If you ever want to get the best in you while keeping apart the stress then you should be connecting with a Senior Citizen, they have this magic! Happy Senior Citizens Day.
- Senior Citizens can be all dependent upon you and you need to make sure that they are taken the right care of! Happy Senior Citizens Day.
- Having a senior citizen at home is truly essential. They can be the best guides for life due to the immense experience they hold about the various walks of life. Happy Senior Citizens Day!
World Senior Citizens Day Quotes in English
- “Always respect the senior citizens not only because they are elder to us but they are far more experienced and truly make the best teachers in the world!!!”
- “Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been.”- Mark Twain
- “We are always asked to respect senior citizens because they are elder to us and also because they are wise and they have seen life from the angles we have missed.”
- “Old Age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you’ve got to start young.”- Theodore Roosevelt
- “Education is the best provision for old age.”- Aristotle
- “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”- Les Brown
- “Old age is a good and pleasant thing. It is true you are gently shouldered off the stage, but then you are given such a comfortable front stall as spectator.”- Confucius
- “Every time I think that I’m getting old, and gradually going to the grave, something else happens.”- Lillian Carter
- “Aging is not “lost youth” but a new stage of opportunity and strength.”- Betty Friedan
- “Old age is not a disease – it is strength and survivorship, triumph over all kinds of vicissitudes and disappointments, trials, and illnesses.”- Maggie Kuhn
- “The good thing about being old is not being young.”
Some tips to Celebrate this Day in India
- Eating together is a fun experience and this experience gives people a chance to use their intelligence to do something. The most important thing is that everyone eats together as a family. On this day children cook with their grandparents and parents. The dishes prepared are really amazing.
- People can also make a picture book of memories and gift them to their elders. It is a great way to remember the old times and stay connected with them.
- If the weather is nice, you can schedule a picnic. Gather your luggage and schedule your favorite destination, or you can visit or call your parents if they don’t live near you.
- Take a break from your work. Take some distance from your smart phone, laptop, TV and other devices and try to spend some time without them.
- Help with chores around the house. If your elders are doing household chores then today is the right time to help them.
- The simple presence of a friend or a hug from a family member can help increase happiness hormones and reduce stress. Even simple eye contact can help encourage feelings of attachment. So hug your loved ones as much as possible and try to bring smile on the face of your elders.
- Restaurants and clubs may offer special discounts or even provide free meals to senior citizens.
International Senior Citizens Day 2021: Conclusion
As people get older they lose their ability to perform basic everyday tasks. They begin to rely on others for help throughout the community. Thus it is important to teach children to serve the elderly. International Senior Citizens Day is an occasion to honor the very important and hard work that every elderly person does every day i.e. “Nursing the Next Generation” for our society.
21st August as Senior Citizens Day is created to help us remember and honor the contribution made by the elderly to our society. It’s the little things that are ultimately the most valuable. According to a recent study on Aging, 29% of adults over 67% live alone. Maintaining the independence of the elderly will foster empowerment and self-esteem.
When the elderly are left alone without social and family contact, it is life-threatening. It usually takes longer to detect signs of cognitive or physical impairment. This increases their safety and health risks and increases the chances of depression and other mental illnesses. We should live with our elders and take care of all their needs. Of course, not only on Senior Citizen’s Day, but social dialogue and interaction should happen every year. Each and every day is important to make our elders feel special.