Mahatma Gandhi Jayanti 2023: Mahatma Gandhi’s birthday is celebrated every year as the Day of Non-Violence all over the world. In India, he has the status of the Father of the Nation, whom people also fondly call Bapu. His 152nd birth anniversary is being celebrated this year.
He was born on October 2, 1869 in Porbandar, Gujarat. In this sense, Gandhi Jayanti is on 2 October. But this time on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti, programs are being celebrated in many parts of the country for three days, which is starting from October 1. Then on October 2 as well as on October 3, many programs are to be organized on this occasion.
Table of Contents
Some Facts and FAQs about Mahatma Gandhi Ji on Mahatma Gandhi Jayanti 2023
Read some facts and FAQS about Mahatma Gandhi on Gandhi Jayanti
How did you become the father of the nation?
The Father of the Nation’s address to Mahatma Gandhi was first made by Subhash Chandra Bose in the Acre program broadcast from Singapore Radio. According to historical facts, first on June 4 and then on July 6, 1944, Bose used this word for Mahatma Gandhi in a message broadcast on the radio, which was formed in independent India under the leadership of the country’s first Prime Minister Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru. The government also recognized it.
How Mahatma Gandhi inspired hundreds of people
The path shown by Gandhi for humanity, influenced not only India but many people of the world. Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela are among those famous figures in the world, who inspired their movements against apartheid and apartheid from Gandhi’s ideas.
The eminent scientist Albert Einstein once said about Mahatma Gandhi, ‘Generations to come will scarcely believe that such a man made of flesh and blood walked the earth.’
Barack Obama, Steve Jobs also admirers of Gandhi
People influenced by Mahatma Gandhi include former US President Barack Obama and Steve Jobs, co-founder of Apple, one of the world’s largest companies. Barack Obama had said, ‘Mahatma Gandhi has been the main reason for my fascination with India.’ While Steve Jobs named him as his choice for ‘Person of the Century’, Gandhi said, “Gandhi showed us the way out of the destructive side of our human nature.”
Many programs are organized on Mahatma Gandhi Jayanti 2023
On October 2, on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti, usually the President, Prime Minister and other dignitaries visit Raj Ghat in the national capital Delhi to pay tribute to Mahatma Gandhi by visiting the Samadhi Sthal. On this day being a national holiday across the country, speeches, debates, plays, poster competitions etc. are organized in schools, colleges and other institutions. Prayers are held at Bapu’s samadhi.
The farmer of Champaran had given the name Bapu
Mahatma Gandhi, who gave extraordinary teachings like non-violence to the world, is fondly called Bapu by people. He got this name from a farmer of Champaran district in Bihar.
Bapu had reached here knowing about the atrocities of the British on the farmers cultivating indigo, so that a solution could be found. Here he got so much love that he became famous as Bapu in the country and the world.
Why did Mahatma Gandhi resort to fasting?
Once when someone asked Gandhi why do you resort to fasting in every difficult time, he said, ‘This is the last weapon in the arsenal of the priest of non-violence. When man’s cunning does not work, the priest of non-violence fasts. In this the spirit of prayer prevails, which is dedicated to God. It also affects the public. If the public knows the one who is fasting, then his sleeping conscience wakes up.’
Don’t fast with the hope of fruit
Regarding fasting, Mahatma Gandhi clearly believed that only those with strong intentions can do it and this fast should not be done with the hope of any fruit. Once he wrote, ‘He who does not have strength in his heart, he must not fast at all.
He should not fast even with the expectation of fruit. He who fasts with the hope of fruit, loses. Even if he loses sight, he loses the joy of fasting.’
Fasting in the life of Gandhi ji
Mahatma Gandhi’s lifestyle was very simple. In his life, he chose a simple and vegetarian diet, then he chose fasting as a means of self-purification and political protest. While Mahatma Gandhi had realized the benefits of fasting for health, he also used this spiritual practice as a political tool when he observed several long fasts against the policies of British rule.
10 Lines On Mahatma Gandhi Jayanti In English
- In India, Mahatma Gandhi is a legend and an inspiring personality who fought for our freedom against the British and achieved success. He is a great hero to us with great preaching and orderly wisdom.
- The full name of Mahatma Gandhi is Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi. He was born in Porbandar, Gujarat in a Hindu family on October 2, 1869. He is also called Mahatma and Bapu ji.
- When the British started their rule in India, Bapu was in England to study law. After completing his studies, he came back to India and started supporting Indians to raise their voice against British rule.
- He started the moment of non-violence because he wants to end things in a great way. He got angry at times, yet he went ahead with his peaceful fight for the independence of India.
- After coming to India, he joined the Indian National Congress as a part. Being a part of the Indian National Congress, he initiated various independence moments like non-cooperation, civil disobedience, satyagraha, Dandi March and later Quit India Movement, which remained effective one day and helped India get an opportunity.
- Due to his great strategies and being a freedom fighter, he was arrested and jailed many times. But, his dedication and high spirit helped him to continue his fight for justice.
- Called as the Father of the Nation, he made all his efforts to free India from British rule and live an independent country. He created unity of people of all castes, religions, caste, community, age or gender to move forward for the independence movement, which he used during this period.
- All their dedication eventually forced the British to leave India and return to their country on 15 August 1947, which we all celebrate as India Independence Day every year.
- Sadly, he could not continue his life after independence as he was assassinated by Nathuram Godse on 30 January 1948.
- After the death of Mahatma Gandhi, there was a riot-like atmosphere in the whole country, but in time the then government took over the whole system. People from all over the country and the world also attended his funeral.
Mahatma Gandhi Jayanti 2023 Quotes
“Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.”
“Where there is love there is life.”
“Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.”
“Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”
“God has no religion.”
“You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is like an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.”
“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.”
“The future depends on what you do today.”
“A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes.”
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”