National Cancer Awareness Day is observed every year on 7 November in the country to spread awareness about the need for early cancer detection to fight the deadly disease. Cancer: It is a large group of diseases in which abnormal cells grow uncontrollably and exceed their normal limits to invade nearby parts of the body or spread to other organs. It can start in any organ or tissue of the body. The final stage of this disease is called metastasizing and is a major cause of death from cancer.
Table of Contents
Key points about National Cancer Awareness Day
- Other common names for cancer are Neoplasm and Malignant Tumor.
- Cancers of the lung, prostate, colorectal, stomach and liver are most common in men, while breast, colorectal, lung, cervical and thyroid cancers are most common in women.
- Cancer is one of the leading causes of disease and death due to non-communicable diseases (NCD) worldwide including India.
- According to the World Health Organization (WHO), cancer is the second leading cause of death globally and in the year 2018 there were around 18 million cancer related cases globally out of which 1.5 million cases were from India alone.
- About 0.8 million cancer deaths occurred in India in 2018 as against 9.58 million globally. The number of new cases in India is projected to double by the year 2040.
- Deaths due to cancer are preventable: 30-50% of cancer deaths are preventable, excluding the main risk factors. Major risk factors include tobacco use, alcohol use, unbalanced diet, exposure to ultraviolet radiation, pollution, chronic infections, etc.
- Treatment of cancer: Treatment options for cancer include surgery, cancer drugs or radiotherapy.
- Palliative care, which focuses on improving the quality of life of patients and their families, is an essential component of cancer care.
- Global Initiative to Combat Cancer: In 1965, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) was formed as a specialized cancer agency of the World Health Organization (WHO) as a part of the World Health Assembly. by resolution.
World Cancer Day is celebrated every year on 4th February
Initiatives launched by India: National Program for Prevention and Control of Cancer, Diabetes, Cancer, Diabetes, Heart Diseases and Stroke under National Health Mission (NHM) in India. Cardiovascular Diseases and Stroke- NPCDCS) is being implemented at the district level.
Under the purview of Ayushman Bharat, Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana is being implemented to reduce the financial burden on the health of poor and vulnerable groups, which will provide access to quality health services. Under this, health insurance of Rs 5 lakh is being provided to each beneficiary every year.
National Cancer Grid (NCG): The NCG is a network of leading cancer centres, research institutes, patient groups and charitable institutions across the country, with the aim of achieving uniform standards of care for cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment of patients. To provide specialized training and education in oncology [the study of cancer] and to facilitate clinical research in cancer.
The National Cancer Grid (NCG) was formed in August 2012
The National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) has rationalized trade margins for 42 anti-cancer drugs in February 2019 to make healthcare more affordable for cancer patients i.e. to reduce the prices of anti-cancer drugs. A pilot project on (Trade Margin Rationalisation) was launched. This has brought down the prices of medicines.
National Cancer Awareness Day 2023: Theme
This year Theme for National Cancer Awareness Day 2023 is “I am and I will”
National Cancer Awareness Day 2023: Know the most common types of cancer, ways to prevent them
According to the World Health Organization (WHO) report, one out of every 10 Indians is at risk of cancer. One out of every 15 people die of cancer. We all know that a serious disease like cancer cannot be treated at the third stage. Consult a doctor if you see the initial symptoms of this disease.
According to the report, similar symptoms can be seen in both men and women when they have cancer. Let us tell you about the types and prevention of cancer.
75% of breast cancer cases depend on the hormones of women. Especially such women who do not breastfeed, are troubled by obesity and do not exercise. Those women have a higher risk of breast cancer.
If you see symptoms like lump in breast, change in size and discharge of liquid, then consult a doctor. Get your breast examined after the age of 20. Exercise daily for 30 minutes and eat nutritious food in food.
Stay away from tobacco, khaini, beedi and smoking products. Having sex with more than one partner can increase the risk of human papilloma virus infection. Consult a doctor if there is pain in the lining of the jaw or change in its color or any kind of lump in the mouth. If such symptoms are seen, check with Dentist, Enchi and Oral Surgeon.
The incidence of cervical cancer in women has increased in the recent past. Human papilloma virus is the cause of cervical cancer. Its risk increases if you have a relationship with more than one partner. Check with the doctor if there is any bleeding in the vagina, smell, pain during sex and discharge of excessive amount of liquid.
Be careful if you have cough, mucus or blood for a long time. Difficulty in breathing, chest pain can also be a symptom of cancer. To avoid this, stay away from tobacco and consult a doctor if you see such symptoms.
Colorectal cancer is also called colon cancer. People whose family members have had colorectal cancer are at risk of this cancer. Consuming less fiber in the diet, working in one place for hours, diabetes, smoking and alcohol increase the risk of colon cancer. Consult a doctor if there is constipation, diarrhea or changes in the color of the stool.
National Cancer Awareness Day 2023: 8 super foods that reduce the risk of cancer, include them in the diet today
Along with cancer, it is very important to be aware about its diet. There are many such food items in our kitchen, which help us in fighting a serious disease like cancer. It is called Anti Cancer Diet or Food. Rich vitamins, minerals and other nutrients are found in these foods, which can protect against cancer. Let us tell you today, about the anti cancer diet.
Vitamins, minerals and fibers are found in berries. Scientists have included it in the anti-cancer diet because of its antioxidant properties and health benefits. You can include other berries in your diet including berries, blueberries, strawberries and cranberries.
Leafy vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower and kale contain many nutrients, including vitamin C, vitamin K and manganese. Apart from this, these vegetables also contain sulforaphane, which has anti-cancer properties.
According to the American Institute for Cancer Research, all nuts are beneficial for preventing cancer, but scientists have described walnuts as more beneficial than other nuts. Walnuts contain a substance called pedunculgin, which the body metabolizes to form urolithin. Urolithins are compounds that bind to estrogen receptors and may play a role in preventing breast cancer.
Legumes, such as beans, peas and lentils, are high in fiber, which may help reduce a person’s risk of cancer. Apart from this, they also give fiber and folate to the body, which can reduce the risk of pancreatic cancer.
Green tea is very beneficial for our body. Antioxidants are found in it, so it has been included as an anti-cancer diet. Green tea is helpful in preventing cancer of liver, breast, pancreas, lung, esophageal and skin.
Tomatoes get their red color from lycopene, which is a strong antioxidant. According to some research, lycopene helps keep prostate and lung cancer away by up to 18 percent.
Allium vegetables include garlic, onions, scallions, chives and leeks. All these vegetables contain the antioxidant quercetin, which is helpful in fighting cancer. Garlic and other allium foods may protect against stomach and colorectal cancer.
National Cancer Awareness Day: Quotes
- “You can be a victim of cancer or a survivor of cancer. It’s a mindset.” – Dave Pelzer
- “Cancer can take away all of my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart, and it cannot touch my soul.” – Jim Valvano
- “We have two options, medically and emotionally: give up or fight like hell.” – Lance Armstrong
- “You beat cancer by how you live, why you live and in the manner in which you live.” – Stuart Scott
- “Cancer opens many doors. One of the most important is your heart.” – Greg Anderson