New Delhi: World Oceans Day 2021: Oceans cover 71% of the Earth’s surface, and they hold 97% of our planet’s water. World Oceans Day, celebrated across the world on June 8, is a yearly occasion intended to urge individuals to praise the seas and make moves to protect ocean health.
With the continuous issues identified with water bodies, like plastic waste, diminishing degree of water, debasements in water and others, it is the most extreme need to save and moderate our seas. They are the lungs of our planet and give the vast majority of the oxygen we relax. Being a significant wellspring of food and medications, seas are should have been saved for their magnificence and abundance.
About World Oceans Day 2021
Canada previously proposed the idea for World Oceans Day in 1992 at the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro. At that point, in 2004, the Ocean Project and World Ocean Network dispatched a four-year request to the United Sea biodiversity is bewildering.
Danger to Oceans
Dangers to seas incorporate contamination, overfishing, obtrusive species, and rising sea sharpness because of the broad utilization of non-renewable energy sources. What’s more, we’ve all known about the danger to the sea from plastic waste. The issues are overwhelming, and this day is set apart to remind worldwide residents that we ought to do our part in ensuring our seas with all that it and the remainder of nature have given us.
World Oceans Day 2021 Theme
The current year’s superb spotlight will be on the life and job that the sea supports. The topic for World Oceans Day 2021 is “The Ocean: Life and Livelihoods”.
Previous Themes of World Oceans Day
- 2009: Our Oceans, Our Responsibilities
- 2010: Our Oceans: Opportunities and Challenges
- 2011: Our Oceans: greening our future
- 2012: UNCLOS @ 30
- 2013: Oceans & People
- 2014: Ocean Sustainability: Together let’s ensure oceans can sustain us into the future
- 2015: Healthy Oceans, Healthy Planet
- 2016: Healthy Oceans, Healthy Planet
- 2017: Our Oceans, Our Future
- 2018: Clean our Ocean
- 2019: Gender and Oceans
- 2020: “Innovation for a Sustainable Ocean”.
World Ocean Day 2021: Importance of Oceans
Seas cover 71% of the Earth’s surface and hold 97% of the planet’s water. They help feed the world and give the majority of the oxygen. Seas likewise assume a vital part in managing the climate and environment. Water vanishing from the seas falls inland as downpour, which we at that point use as drinking water and for developing harvests. An assortment of life-saving therapeutic mixtures, including calming and hostile to malignant growth drugs have been found in the seas.
The seas additionally give us bountiful freedoms for entertainment and motivation. The sea is crucial to the world’s economy, with over 90% of exchange utilizing ocean courses and as a cause of occupations for a huge number of individuals. The sea is additionally the stage for a developing scope of new sea related financial exercises and consistent advancements. The ocean’s biodiversity is shocking. Researchers have recognized approximately 200,000 marine species however speculate that millions all the more really call the seas home.
World Oceans Day Significance
What is the meaning of World Oceans Day? Require a moment and take a gander at these fascinating realities: Oceans give us a large portion of the world’s oxygen and hosts a lot of life in the world and goes about as the biggest carbon sink of the world! These realities are only a glimpse of something larger!
World Oceans Day 2021: Tackling the hazard of plastic contamination
The inquiry before us is one that will influence the people in the future of worldwide residents: How would we be able to quit making harm our seas and embrace maintainable practices to limit plastic waste in our blue waters?
World over, the harming impacts of plastic contamination and industrialisation, combined with overfishing utilizing fishing vessels, has caused significant harm and upset the normal variety of our blue riches. Marine biological systems are under danger and protection rehearses should be ventured up to guarantee that we don’t further jeopardize ourselves and the planet.
Quotes on World Ocean Day 2021
- “Faith is knowing there is an ocean because you have seen a brook.” —William Arthur Ward
- “The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.” —Jacques Cousteau
- “The Ocean is a mighty harmonist.” —William Wordsworth
- “No water, no life. No blue, no green.” —Sylvia Earle
- “We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch, we are going back from whence we came.” —John F. Kennedy
- “For each of us, then, the challenge and opportunity is to cherish all life as the gift it is, envision it whole, seek to know it truly, and undertake—with our minds, hearts, and hands—to restore its abundance. It is said that where there’s life there’s hope, and so no place can inspire us with more hopefulness than that great, life-making sea—that singular, wondrous ocean covering the blue planet.” —Carl Safina
- “One drop of water helps to swell the oceannone are too small, too feeble, too poor to be of service. Think of this and act.” —Hannah More
- To me, the sea is a continual miracle. The fishes that swimthe rocksthe motion of the wavesthe ships, with men in them. What strange miracles are there? –Walt Whitman
- We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch we are going back from whence we came —John F. Kennedy
- Being out there in the ocean, God’s creation, it’s like a gift he has given us to enjoy.–Bethany Hamilton