World Ozone Day 2021: The International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer is an annual observance. It is celebrated every year on 16 September to spread awareness and draw attention to the depletion of the ozone layer. The day is celebrated worldwide by organizing seminars, speeches and national and international exhibitions.
Annual Science Days are also organized in schools and awareness is also spread through media. The day is very important as it acts as a platform for family, friends and acquaintances to make their contribution to their planet ‘Earth’. Various campaigns have also been started which helps in spreading the awareness of ozone layer in a big way. World Ozone Day emphasizes international efforts to limit the production and release of harmful gases.
Table of Contents
International Day for the Protection of the Ozone Layer
The International Day for the Protection of the Ozone Layer will be observed in 2021 on Thursday, 16 September.
What will happen to the Earth if the ozone layer is not protected?
The ozone layer is a layer of ozone molecules found exclusively in the stratosphere layer of the atmosphere between 20 and 40 km. The ozone layer is formed in the atmosphere when ultraviolet rays from the sun break down oxygen atoms. Oxygen atoms combine with oxygen and thus form ozone molecules. The problem that this layer’s depletion causes is when harmful sun radiation is unable to escape from the atmosphere once it has stuck to the Earth’s surface.
Most scientists believe that life on Earth would cease to exist without the ozone layer. If the ozone layer is not protected, the life of people, plants and animals will be affected very badly. Even underwater life would be destroyed due to ozone depletion. Depletion of the ozone layer disturbs the natural balance, there is more heat than in winter, winters come irregularly and icebergs begin to melt. Apart from this, the depletion of the ozone layer is a threat to health and nature.
History of World Ozone Day
Since 1994, 16th September is celebrated annually with great enthusiasm in all countries as the International Day for the Protection of the Ozone Layer. The day was named as a declaration that was made by the United Nations. The day was designated by the United Nations for the signing of the Montreal Convention on the depletion of the ozone layer on 19 December 2000.
The Montreal Convention is an international treaty to protect the ozone layer by eliminating harmful substances and gases from around the world. Participation in the International Day to Protect the Ozone Layer has seen a huge increase since 1995, which was the first year that the day was celebrated around the world.
Why is World Ozone Day celebrated?
This day is celebrated not only to remember the date when the Montreal Convention was signed but also mainly to spread awareness about how fast the ozone layer is depleting. The main objective of observing this day as an international occasion is to create a sense of awareness about the ozone layer, how it is formed and how to prevent its depletion.
On this day people from schools, colleges, organizations and media connect with each other and share their thoughts and tell that the danger that destroys our earth can be controlled. This day educates the public about the importance of the environment and the important means of protecting it.
World Ozone Day 2021 Theme and Previous Themes
The annual celebration of the International Day for the Protection of the Ozone Layer has its own theme and this theme changes from year to year. The theme of a year is not repeated again and every year a new and different theme is kept by the officials. The International Day for the Protection of the Ozone Layer was observed on 16 September 2017 with the theme ‘Care for all life under the Sun’.
The theme has been kept on the objective that everyone’s life should be respected and human beings should work selflessly to make the environment and environment clean so that not only humans but also plants and animals can lead a healthy life. The themes of the previous years are as follows:
Theme for World Ozone Day Year wise
- Theme of 2021 – “Ozone for Life: 35 Years of Ozone Layer Protection”.
- Theme of 2020 – “Ozone for Life: 35 Years of Ozone Layer Protection”.
- Theme of 2019 – “32 years and healing”.
- Theme of 2018 – “Care for a lifetime under the sun”.
- Theme of 2016 – “Ozone and Climate – Restored by the World”
- Theme of 2015 – “30 Years – Treating Our Ozone Together”
- Theme of 2014 – “Ozone Layer Conservation – Mission On Going”
- Theme of 2013 – “Ozone Day – A Healthy Environment We Want in the Future”
- Theme of 2012 – “Protecting our environment for generations to come”
- Theme of 2011 – “HCFC Phase-out: A Unique Opportunity”
- 2010 Theme – “Ozone Layer Protection: Governance and Compliance”
- Theme of 2009 – “Universal Partnership: Ozone Protection Connects the World Together”
- 2008 Theme – “Montreal Protocol – Global Partnership for Global Benefit”
- Theme of 2007 – “Celebrating 20 Years of Progress in 2007”
- 2006 Theme – “Protect the Ozone Layer, Save Life on Earth”
- 2005 Theme – “Ozone Friendly Act – Travel & Stay Safe!”
- 2004 Theme – “Save Our Sky: Ozone Friendly Planet, Our Target”
- Theme of 2003 – “Save Our Sky: The Holes Too Much for Our Children”
- 2002 Theme – “Save Our Sky: Protect Yourself; Protect the Ozone Layer”
How is World Ozone Day celebrated?
World Ozone Day is celebrated internationally since 1994 to increase awareness and understanding about the consequences of ozone layer depletion and to protect it. On this day the sharing of efforts to reduce emissions of harmful gases, which mainly cause environmental issues, is encouraged.
These people inspire others to engage in awareness-raising campaigns and expand the wide range of activities that are organized to celebrate this international occasion. Activists of various NGOs raise slogans while holding awareness rallies to spread the benefits of this day. The media has played a vital role on this issue by contributing to various NGOs to organize many volunteer programs online so as to educate the people and distribute important material about the issue.
Young people nowadays have started using Facebook, Instagram and other social media sites to promote the theme of International Day of Preservation of Ozone Layer. They share events in their area, famous environmental quotes and facts. Youth groups draw on that year’s special theme and deliver online speeches on important topics related to ozone depletion and its consequences.
World Ozone Day is celebrated in different ways in different countries:
World Ozone Day 2021: India
International Ozone Day is celebrated by the students with great enthusiasm in India for the protection of the ozone layer. On this day huge rallies are formed on the streets of the city, students are given a chance to give speeches on the annual ozone day. College students organize state level campaigns for conventions on the subject and thus use various measures to reduce the hole in the ozone layer.
The Indian government provides recognition and scholarship to intelligent people who invent creative ways to reduce emissions of harmful gases and substances that are not only convenient but also sustainable. The Ministry of Environment and Public Health launched some programs and collected data on harmful gases present in the atmosphere for mankind which are having a bad effect on the earth. These updated data are given to various universities to study them extensively and provide adequate solutions on this issue.
World Ozone Day 2021: Australia
Australia along with other countries celebrates the International Day for the Protection of the Ozone Layer by participating in international efforts through various events. Contact and talk to the youth of the nation in the form of small groups. The youth tell them that our environment is paying a price due to our carelessness and also ignite the hope of bringing some positive change. The day is full of everyday activities.
Students usually get topics to write essays, paragraphs or articles in their institutions so that the teachers understand how serious they are towards the environment in this technological world. Thematic regional activities are organized by the government to spread awareness.
World Ozone Day 2021: Europe
Europe is a big continent and that is why the contribution of this continent is more in population growth and population control. On International Ozone Day for the protection of the ozone layer, the whole world urges people to join this fight to make them aware of the real atmospheric conditions and be a participant in an effective program against ozone. This festival is celebrated through various activities in schools, colleges and universities to make everyone aware about this danger which has created a lot of problem in the climatic conditions.
World Ozone Day 2021: Africa
World Ozone Day is celebrated in Africa in the form of various activities. These activities include events organized by people in academic and professional fields to increase knowledge about environmental hazards. Volunteers and staff from various environmental research societies inform the general public about the depletion of the ozone layer so that it can raise funds and distribute that money to inventions that can reduce emissions of harmful substances.
World Ozone Day 2021 Slogans and Quotes
- Ozone is like a “MOTHER” of EARTH….who protect her child from harmful radiations. Our Mother. World Ozone Day
- Doesn’t let the future go up in smoke. SAVE THE OZONE. Save ozone, Save a life (God Bless you). World Ozone Day.
- Life depletes when Ozone Depletes… So to save life save Ozone.
- Reduce depletion of ozone, otherwise you will be in the Redzone.
- You dont have to be a mayor to help protect the ozone layer.
- The only thing that stops the earth from getting fried is the ozone layer. Protect it and protect yourself. World Ozone Day
- Ozone is like a “MOTHER” of EARTH….who protect her child from harmful radiations. Our Mother. World Ozone Day
- Let’s take an oath to protect the ozone layer and save life on earth this World Ozone Day!
- As umbrella protects us from rain, ozone protects the earth from the sun.
- Go green, go genius, stamp the carbon, stand tall, and stitch the ozone layer.
Facts About Ozone Layer
- The culprit was CFC – chlorofluorocarbon and HCFC – hydro chlorofluorocarbon which are also greenhouse gases.
- The “hole’ that was discovered in Antarctica was over 29 million square kilometers – larger than Russia and Canada combined!
- CFC was being used in refrigerants and cooling units, fire extinguishers and aerosols.
- Exposure to higher amounts of UV radiation can cause skin cancer, eye diseases and weaken the immune system of humans.
- Global Ozone is expected to revert to its 1980 thickness in the next 55 years.
Suggestions for organizing International Day for the Protection of the Ozone Layer in India
- Environment is a very broad term. It includes everything above and below us. The atmosphere above us consists of various layers, with one layer being the stratosphere and also called the ozone layer. Due to many problems in today’s environment, the balance between our top and bottom has become very disturbed. The development and modernization in our country has increased the threat to the environment for our people. It affects our biological resources such as soil, land, forests and water. The suggestions for celebrating the International Day for the Protection of the Ozone Layer in India include the following:
- On World Ozone Day maximum population should practice extensive cultivation of trees. This will help reduce the sources of substances that contribute to ozone depletion. All people should pledge to use only organic products and reduce the use of products due to depletion of ozone layer.
- The focus should be shifted from identifying environmental problems at regional levels rather than at higher levels. Also the people, if they are involved in any activity, should be held accountable to the law enforcing agencies which give rise to environmental issues.
- The introduction of clean technologies should be encouraged through this day.
- People should test fire extinguishers before buying them, people should avoid buying aerosol products that contain chlorofluorocarbons. Gradually everyone should reduce the use of refrigerators, freezers and air conditioners from the 1990s.
- In a developing country like India, there should be more emphasis on limiting private vehicle driving, more use of eco-friendly products, ban on pesticides which are contributing to depletion of ozone layer, stricter norms on rocket launches. More conditions should be imposed and minimum use of chemical should be promoted on this day.
Everything on our planet Earth is interconnected. Mother Earth provides us with so many valuable environmental facilities without which we cannot even imagine life. So we should adopt more organic and holistic form of using it where everyone will get benefit without any destruction. Ozone depletion is the main reason for today’s climatic conditions. It does not exist in a huge dimension today but if it is not controlled then it can cause some serious destruction to the developing and developed countries. World Ozone Day provides a big platform among the people to make them aware. This is the right time and we must continue our best efforts to preserve the ozone layer.